5/11/11

April Training

As the month of April drew to a close my training focus started to shift from base endurance work, to racing. In April I had my longest training week and long run of the year with a 20:00+ hour week and a 4:00 run. I also increased my threshold workouts doing several workouts with 1:00 to 1:30 of threshold zone work between 5:25 and 5:35 per mile pace during April.

Something else I have taken up again is geocaching. I did some geocaching early in college, but had lost touch with it in the past few years. It is a really fun activity using GPS units to find hidden caches in the woods or city around you. I have even started doing some geocaching on my easy or long runs as they are often placed right along the trail or in the parks that I frequent on my runs. I don't have the benefit of stopping long to search, but it can be really addicting none the less.

I'm now just a few days away from my first race of the season, the Ice Age 50K. I am excited for the race, and a bit anxious to get the first one out of the way. I feel like my training has been solid and I am more fit now than I was at this point last year.

Meg and I are also excited about our partnership with Montrail this season. We have had great runs in our Montrail shoes over the past month. The new Rouge Racer is a nicely designed light weight, lower profile shoe that will suit trail running and some light road running too.

No comments: