1/16/12

Lightspeed Workout

Reduced weight treadmills, such as under water or air pressure systems, have become popular training tools for many elite runners. I have seen the systems before, but had never had access to one to train on. But recently the Duluth Y, where I do my strength and indoor speed workouts, purchased Lightspeed treadmill system.








The view looking at the treadmill screen

The Lightspeed works on the same theory that other reduced body weight treadmills do. That by running at a lighter weight you can train the body to have a faster turnover and run at a higher speed, while reducing the impact on your body and making recovery from a workout or injury easier. The Lightspeed system has the user put on a pair of thick spandex shorts (you have to purchase these - they get sweaty) which clips onto a bungee and frame system set up around the treadmill. You can raise or lower the harness to control how much lighter you become in the harness.



The frame of the Lightspeed around a treadmill

I ran a test workout on the system last week and, even with everything I have read about these systems, I was impressed. I normally weigh about 138 to 140 lbs, but while on this system I was down to 120 lbs. I began running at my normal easy run pace of 6:45 to 6:50. I quickly began to push the pace and see how I felt. Soon I was clipping off 6:35 miles, then 6:25. The Lightspeed allowed me to run :20 to :25 seconds per mile faster than my normal easy run pace while keeping my heart rate at 146 BPM which is well within my BE 1-2 training zone.






The shorts that hook into the Lightspeed system



I am really excited that I now have access to a Lightspeed treadmill for training. I think it will be a great tool for recovery runs after especially hard workouts and races or in the unfortunate situation I get injured (knock on wood).




Hope 2012 training is going well for all of you. Keep exploring the limits!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris,
I'm a reporter for Runner's World working on a story about LightSpeed and came across your post. Are you open to a quick interview about your experience with the device? Please reach me at 408-216-9115 or michellehamilton@earthlink.net.
Thanks!