9/11/07

The UMD Meet

The week leading up to the UMD meet was another hard week for me. The plan was/is to push me at a higher intensity for the week of August 27 and September 3, then the week of September 10 would be a high volume week followed be an easy week going into the U of M Griak meet.

On September 4, I did one of my ANT workouts for the week. I ran 6x10 minute ANT repeats. It was hard, but I felt really strong at the end of the session. My heart rate during the repeats ranged between 170 to 183 beats per minute. I also had my blood lactic acid concentration measured during the workout. After the first repeat I was at 3.4 mm of lactic acid, and I was up to 6.0 mm after my 6th. This is exactly the kind of build up of lactic acid that I was looking for in this workout. This kind of long ANT workout is designed to help your body adjust to having lactic acid in your system for longer periods of times – like races. In total, my Tuesday workout saw me run 14 miles, with about 11 of those mile being at ANT pace. This was a swell training day!

On Friday September 7th, I tried a new pre race workout. I ran 5 x 800m at race pace. The first two were at the low end of my race pace zone, the next two were at the high end of my zone, and the last one was back at the low end again. The idea was that a bit of running at race pace the day before competition would help prep my legs and mind for competition.

Saturday, September 8th was the day of the UMD meet. The day was unusually calm and cool for this time of year. The temperature was only in the 60’s. As I lined up at the starting line I felt really good, I was ready to pop a good race today. As the race started I settled into pace and was running near the front of the lead pack. I went through the first mile in 5:15, and the three miles in 16:21.

At this point in the race, the pack should have turned to take another lap, but instead was directed to take the finish loop. Despite knowing that this was the wrong way, I could not be the only one on the course going the correct way – so I followed. I ended up finishing the race in 10th with a 21:15 four mile time. Despite these results I can’t help but be disappointed in the shortened race. I was on pace to break 27:20 and possibly place in the top 6 or 8. But the fact remains that I placed well, and ran an excellent race.

The coming week will be another supreme week of training, and my next race at St. Olaf is on a fast course so I think another good performance is highly likely.

No comments: