9/11/07

Summer Training Ends

As you can tell, for the last few weeks I have failed to keep up with my postings. School has once again started and so I have to deal with the normal pains associated with such a transition. (Class schedule changes, moving in, club meetings, and of course practice) I will now attempt to recap the past few weeks and first two cross country races of the 2007-2008 season in a series of posts.

August brought me 2 high volume weeks followed by a recovery week and finally a high intensity week to start off the cross country season. The first week in August I ran 80 miles and trained a total of 11 hours. The second week in August saw me run 70 miles and do 15:00 hours of training. During this second week I did a lot of cross training in addition to my running to increase my total training volume. Most of this cross training was roller skiing, but I also had several long bike rides, including a very enjoyable 50 miler.

The third week in August brought me to my Cross Country pre-season camp in northern Minnesota. Overall the week of training was not the most difficult I have had all summer, but I did have a hard ANT interval session on the second day of camp. I did 10 mile repeats at ANT (or anaerobic threshold pace – commonly called tempo) pace. For me this pace was around 5:45 per mile at the time.

As August came to a close, I had an intense week of training. The team had a time trial at the beginning of the week, I had my fall lactic threshold test in the middle of the week, and the season’s first meet was on Saturday.

My lactic threshold test results were a big source of confidence for me. The test measures the accumulation of lactic acid in your muscles over a period of time. For those of you who have never experienced one of these tests, they involve running on a treadmill at increasing speeds and taking blood samples every few minutes. The results show you how hard you should be training during different workouts and allows for much more exact and scientific training. My results showed a huge improvement from the spring. I was able to run at a 6:00 per mile pace and only accumulate 1.7 mm of lactic acid! At a 5:45 per mile pace I was still at just 2.7 mm!! In short the results were phenomenal. These test results were a great way to close my summer training.

No comments: