3/28/11

Snowshoe National Championships

On March 12th and 13th the snowshoe racers from around the country converged at Lakewoods Resort outside of Cable, WI for the 2011 Snowshoe National championships. The weekend would consist of men's and women's junior and senior races, as well as citizen races and a team relay. I took part in the senior men's 10K race, as I had qualified for the championships earlier in the year. The race day conditions were nearly perfect. The temperature was near 25 degrees, and a few inches of snow had fallen the night before the race to "freshen-up" the course. With a little help from our local friends at the American Birkiebeiner the trail grooming was great. The race started at a good pace, with several of my fellow midwest racers taking up spots in the lead pack. I fell into place at the back of the chase pack knowing that my second half strength would help me make up a lot ground later. The course wound through the Lakewoods resort golf course, with several challenging hills. I started out at a comfortably hard pace, and put the hammer down after about 5.5K. I finished in 46:21 and 16th place at my first ever Snowshoe National Championships. I was really happy with my strong race and how much improvement I showed during the season. I think I can expect even stronger snowshoe results next season. I can't wait for the 2012 Nationals in Frisco, CO. After the race I was able to meet Bob Dion, the owner of Dion snowshoes. Thanks in large part to my result at the race, I was asked to join the new Dion snowshoe racing team. Dion snoeshoes are what I have been racing on all season, and I am excited to race with them and on the Dion snowshoe team next season. For those of you who have not tried snowshoe racing before, I would highly recommend it! Not only is it a great time, but it is an excellent off season workout that closely mimics running. I know it has helped me tremendously in my early season ultra races. Thanks again to all of the volunteers who helped put on the races, and congrats to all of the participants.

No comments: