7/14/12

The Black Hills Ultra

At the end of June I traveled to the Black Hills to race in the Black Hills Ultra.  The race has a 50 Miler, 100k, 100 Mile, and a 100 Mile mountain bike race.  I was racing in the 50 Miler.  The race starts in Sturgis and ran along the Centennial trail south along the out and back and course.    



Photo of the race start 

The race was very well organized, with easy check in, a delicious pre race dinner, well stocked aid stations, and a great and well marked course. 

 A typical scene along the race course

As the race started I lead the field out of the track stadium and onto the centennial trail.  Another runner ran with me for the first few miles of the race until we hit the first aid station where I was able to sail right on through with my still nearly full Nathon hydration pack.  From that point on I lead the race. 
One of my crew members, my cousin Max 

As the race progressed, the heat started to climb with temperatures reaching the mid 90's by the end.  Coming into the last few aid stations I was more than happy to see my awesome crew with water and ice!  At the turn around point I had a roughly 5 minute lead on the second place 50 Mile runner. 

Another of my crew members, my friend Anne.  Possibly concerned about the heat? 

I crossed the line in first place in 8:32:30, and had expanded my lead to nearly an hour.  It was a great race, and an especially strong second half performance for me.  At the awards ceremony I received one of the coolest winners awards I have seen, a Buffalo skull with Native American paintings on it.  

A big thanks to my crew, the race directors and volunteers, and congratulations to all the runners who were racing at the Black Hills Ultras and the other races that weekend - like Western States.

No comments: