2/24/08

NCAA Nordic Skiing Regionals

The 2008 NCAA Nordic skiing Central region championships were held on February 16th and 17 at Giants Ridge in Biwabik, MN. The races were hosted by the two year old program at St. Scholastica this year.

For the men, the first day was a 10k skate race. The race was individual start based on season points standing, so the fastest in the field got the best seeds. I started in middle of the seed list. Just :30 seconds ahead of me was A. Tillman from Gustavus. He would be my target for the race as I had beaten him through out the season. For the first lap of the two lap course my plan was to race strong, but not all out and then to switch on the afterburners for the second lap.

The race plan went well. I was feeling strong on the first lap and came through faster then I thought I would. About half a kilometer from the end of the first lap I caught Tilman, and passed him earlier than I anticipated, but this unexpected turn gave me a big shot of adrenaline and strength for the second 5k lap.

My 10K skate race went well and I felt good about the performance. I met my goals and finished fifth on my team.

In the team standings for the 10k skate race, Alaska edged out Northern Michigan University, 79-78, while Saint Scholastica was third with 65 – A great performance for us as a second year D-III program!

The championships wrapped up with a 15k classic race on Sunday. The race was also the last of eight NCAA qualifiers, after which the 10 men and 11 women who earned a berth to the NCAA Skiing Championships next month were announced.

My classic race did not go as well as my skate race. I have always been a stronger skater, and in the week leading up to the regional races I neglected my classic skiing, running instead to help my transition to track season.

With the college Nordic ski season over, I am nothing but happy with my performances though out the season. I raced well all year remaining my team’s 5th or 6th skier and once again showing my skills as a skate skier. Next up: the Birkie, and then track season!

Also, a quick congrats to my teammate Bjorn who qualified for the NCAA national championships in Bozeman, Mt! Great work Bjorn!!!

Some photos of me from the two races:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.