3/13/08

Belated Birkie Brief

I am fully aware that the 2008 Birkie has been history for a few weeks now, and still I have not posted my race report. With spring break coming up so quick after the Birkie I did fail to post before I left. But now, without further delay, here is my race report.
The morning of the Birkie came far too early as usual with me getting up at about 5:30 so I could be out the door at 6:00 AM. My breakfast – generously prepared once again this year by my mother – was one of the traditional pre-Birkie pancakes. My hunger satisfied, I was on the road to Telemark and the start of the 51K journey. After a 45 minute-ish drive I was at Como field where my family parked with the hundreds of other anxious skiers. A short bus ride later I was deposited at Telemark lodge for the start of the 35th annual American Birkie.
The temperature at the starting line was a little under 10 degrees, but still within the range of my wax, Fastwax Teal. I knew it would warm up quick, but I was planning to be done long before the temperature got to warm for my wax. As soon as the elite wave left the first wave skiers – my self among them – sprinted to the starting for a coveted front row spot. This year I was again lucky in getting a front row spot in the first wave. As the clock ticked down I handed my warm-ups over to my parents to deposit for me in the waiting drop bag trucks.
As the starting gun went off we shot off the line. In the first 300m double polling was mandatory, and as my head came up to begin looking for a good place to slide into the pack I realized that I was at the front of the lead group! In fact I was among the top 10 wave one skiers, and most of those ahead of me were Korte skiers too. If I could keep this up I would have a great race.
As the race progressed I fell into a pack with three Michigan Tec. Skiers and two Green Bay skiers. It was a big boost of confidence for me to be skiing with these guys as they are normally out ahead of me in shorter distance races. One of the big changes in my racing this year was the absence of me carrying and of my own liquid, so I slowed briefly at ‘OO’, and the two aid stations directly after for a cup of Accerlerade before continuing on.


Me just after leaving 'OO'

Coming through the halfway point at ‘OO’ I was at 1:05, and what’s even better was that I was still right with my pack and feeling really good. This should have come as no surprise as I do get better as the race distances get longer. Shortly after ‘OO’ our pack began to break as one Green Bay skier and the two Michigan Tec. Skiers fell off the pack. Crossing highway 77 with only a few hills and Hayward Lake standing between me and the finish line I knew that I was in the midst of having a break through race.


Just after Highway 77


Sprinting down Main Street in Hayward

I finished in 2:25:39 (a good 10 minutes faster than I was shooting for), was the 5th skier from wave one, and 97th overall. This excellent finish time and place secured my first elite wave starting spot for next year’s Birkie! This years’ Birkie was a great race. Thanks to all the volunteers and workers who have put in hundreds of hours to put on this great event. I am really looking forward to coming back next year and racing in the elite wave!

No comments: