5/1/12

Chippewa Moraine 50k


For many trail runners in the Midwest the ultra season got into full swing last Saturday at the Chippewa Moraine 50k in New Aburn WI.  The race runs on the Ice Age trail and is challenging but runnable course.  it features many remnants of the last Ice Age including glacial kettles and drumlins.

The race started in slightly chilly 40 degree weather at the Ice Age State Park visitors center.  On the line were many great trail and ultra guys from the region and some of my training partners and fellow Duluth Running Company team mates and Duluth training partners.  This race has really become an early season fitness test in the region.
  

At the starting line
 The race started with out a hitch and we were off and running.  You could tell we were excited to be starting the racing season by the pace.  I lead the lead pack for most of the first half of the out and back course, and we crossed the half way point in under course record time.  My goal for the race was to start off strong in the low end of my threshold zone and then push through the second half to get used to running strong in the difficult second half of a race. I hit that goal well, keeping my heart rate in the mid 160's for the first half and at 161 BPM for my overall average.
 

After the turn around with about 10 miles to go

I finished in 5th place, 3rd in the age group, and in 4:00:21.  I felt good at the end, with enough in the tank to do a cool down with Sundari who also made the trip down to the race.  I felt confident that I could have gone the extra 18 miles to finish a 50 Miler.  I'm looking forward to my next few big weekend long runs and to my next race, the Ice Age 50 Miler in May.  See you all out on the trails and at the NMTC Wednesday night series which starts this week at Park Point at 6 PM!

No comments: