5/15/12

Ice Age 50 Mile

Camping the night before the Ice Age Trail races
On May 11th I traveled down to southern Wisconsin for the Ice Age Trail races.  I made the trip with some fellow Duluth ultra runners who were also running in the 26th annual race.  The race is now part of the Montrail Ultra Cup, so it has now become one of the most competitive ultras in the mid west.  I was running the 50 Mile, my first of the year.  We camped at a near by unit of the Kettle Moraine State forest the night before the race.  The weather held for us and would provide not only good camping but good racing too.   


Racers starting to come to the start area.  Over 800 runners raced at this year's Ice Age races
The 50 Mile race started bright and early at 6 AM.  The race attracted some of the best ultra runners the country including Zach Gingrich, Tim Olson, and the current US 50 Mile trail record holder.  I was excited to test myself against this great competition.  The race started at a fast clip, and I went out with a chase pack of 4 runners.  The lead pack had about 8 to 10 runners, and I knew that some of those runners would be falling back as the race progressed.  That would leave an opportunity for strong second half runners like me to move up in the field.  

Nearing the half way point
At the half way point I was in about 15th place and still feeling strong.  I was moving up in the field taking by advantage of some of the longer climbs between the aid station at Horse Riders Camp and the far turn around.  My nutrition proved well balanced.  I again used Honey Stinger gels but also used Honey Stinger chews as my stomach began to get tired of the sweetness and consistency of gels later in the race.  I also used Mountain Dew at a few of the aid stations in the second half.  Mountain Dew is one example of a food that I don't ever use in normal life, but in an ultra the sugar and caffeine can really bring you back from the edge.   

Top of a climb at about the 40 mile mark
With 10 miles to go I was still feeling strong and did my best to put as much of a gap on the runners behind me as I could.  I was pleased with how little of the race were "dark times" for me, and how even my energy level stayed through out the race.  I finished in 7:14 and 12 place, only 15 minuets behind some of the biggest ultra runners in the country.  7:14 is also a new 50 Mile trail PR for me by almost 27 minutes.  This result showed me that by the end of the season I think I can run a sub 7:00 trail 50 Mile.  Next up for me: the FANS 12 Hour.  I had a great race there last year with a gutsy finish, and I am looking forward to using my experience from last year to see if I can get a second PR this season. 

Congrats to all the runners at the Ice Age trail races and any other races out there this past weekend! 

4 comments:

Forrest said...

Hey Chris- Congrats on a strong run at ice age! I met you at the superior 50 a couple years ago after your great race there and we talked for a bit after the race with some of the other finishers. I'm thinking about heading up there again this year and curious if you are planning to run that in Sept?
Take care,and maybe I'll see you there.
-Forrest Tracy

Forrest said...

Hey Chris- Congrats on a strong run at ice age! I met you at the superior 50 a couple years ago after your great race there and we talked for a bit after the race with some of the other finishers. I'm thinking about heading up there again this year and curious if you are planning to run that in Sept?
Take care,and maybe I'll see you there.
-Forrest Tracy

Chris said...

Thanks a lot! Ice Age was a fun race this year. I am going to be up at Superior Trail again this year, but I will be pacing a friend and training partner in the 100 miler instead of racing. I am looking at doing the Glacier Trail 50 M in October and trying to lower my 50 M PR as my final fall race.

Hope to see you up at Superior if you are there!

Forrest said...

Sounds great. Yes- I will be up there doing the 50, again. I'll try to catch up to you to say 'hi' at some point. BTW, your CR at superior 50 probably would have been more around 8:30 without those tough conditions. I ran just over 10h and felt that without all the mud it would have been less fun, but at least 30 minutes faster! Anyway, happy running. - Forrest