5/23/12

Superior Trail Spring Races and Training Weekend

Last weekend I had the opportunity to volunteer and crew for the Superior Trail Spring 50k and 25k races.  The races are held at Lutsen resort along Lake Superior's north shore.  I camped Friday night at Temperance River State Park, just south of the aid station that I was volunteering at the next day - the Oberg Mt. aid station.  

Oberg Mt. Aid Station - Pre Runners


I arrived at 7AM to help set things up and meet the people I would be working with in runner tracking.  As the day heated up runners started to come through.  Oberg Mt. is the turn around point for the 25k runners and the 1/4 point and 3/4 point for 50k runners.  The heat took it's toll on runners and in my hours working at the aid station more than a half dozen runners dropped out of the race.  I saw a lot of strong runners from the DRC team and the TCRC team from the Twin Cities too.    
Some runners starting to come into the Oberg Mt. aid station


After the race I went to Lutsen to do my run on the SHT, and I also found my self doing some challenging hill climbs on the down hill ski runs.  Later that evening I camped at Cascade River State Park with Eric and Tony. 

Running along the Cascade River
On Sunday the three of us ran from Cascade State Park to Grand Marais.  The weather was a bit windy and rainy, but we powered through the run.  It was a great weekend of training, camping, and volunteering.  Kudos to everyone who raced all around the region last weekend!

No comments: